Boron Deficiency in Pulses
Boron is an essential micronutrient required for the growth and development of pulses, including broad beans, lentils, Bambara groundnut, chickpeas, pigeon peas, and cow peas.
Symptoms of boron deficiency in pulse crops can be found in the following:
- Stems: Brittle, hollow, and weak stems with a reduced diameter which can lead to plants falling over. Stems may also turn brown.
- Growth: Stunted growth and reduction in plant height
- Roots: Reduced root development and black root
- Flowers: Reduction in the number of flowers
- Fruit set: Decreased fruit and deformed pods with fewer seeds